Sixth Form - Bursary Information
A Quick Guide to Financial Support for Post-16 Students at Queen Elizabeth’s School
16-19 Bursary and Discretionary Fund
At Queen Elizabeth’s Sixth Form the bursary fund is used to support students remaining in post-16 education when financial issues might impact on their time in the Sixth Form. We aim to do this in the following ways.
- Students who the government has identified as ‘highly vulnerable’ such as students looked after by the local authority, care leavers, students who receive Income Support [in their own right] and those entitled to both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance will receive a bursary of £1,200 in six half-termly instalments.
Discretionary Bursaries – targeted towards students whose access to, or completion of, education is inhibited by financial constraints or barriers.
The 16-19 Bursary fund has two elements;
Bursary of up to £1,200 paid to students in the most vulnerable groups:
- Young people in care
- Care leavers
- Young people in receipt of Income Support / Universal Credit in their own right.
- Young people in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) AND Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit in their own right.
Queen Elizabeth's School will award bursaries to students who face genuine financial barriers to participation in education to help with costs such as transport, meals, educational trips or visits, clothing, books and equipment. This could be in the form of a one off contribution regarding the purchase of key resources.
For information on whether you are eligible for this, please read through the school’s bursary policy.
In order to make payments promptly, and/or to order essential equipment it is important that all students who wish to claim assistance in Term 1 return an application form to the school as early as possible into the term. Application forms are available from the Sixth Form Office or can be downloaded from the school website www.queenelizabeths.com/sixthform
Other Forms of Assistance
- Free School Meals (claiming FSM may entitle you to other assistance such as 16-19 Bursary which will then pay for the cost of your son/daughter’s school transport). Click here for Queen Elizabeth's School FSM online application form
- Reduced cost concessionary bus transport may be available depending on family income. See https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/education-and-training/school-transport/apply-renew-or-appeal-school-transport/free-school-transport-entitlement
- For advice on other benefits see www.direct.gov.uk www.citizensadvice.org.uk
For More Information
Please contact the school office on 01202 885233 or e-mail email@example.com